An Intermediate Apprenticeship is an excellent first rung on the career ladder. But how long will it take to finish?
All Intermediate Apprenticeships are different, so the exact length of your apprenticeship can vary from organisation to organisation. Typically, however, apprenticeships in the UK can be completed in one to five years.
The specific length of time, though, is determined by the level of apprenticeship you do, how capable you are, and the industry sector you decide to enter.
Typically, though, lower level apprenticeships don’t take as long to complete as the higher ones. There are four levels of apprenticeship in the UK. Here they are ranked from the lowest to the highest level:
- Intermediate Apprenticeship - Level 2 (lowest)
- Advanced Apprenticeship - Level 3
- Higher Apprenticeship - Level 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Intermediate Apprenticeship - Level 2 (Highest)
Intermediate Apprenticeships are the lowest level, and typically these ones take between 12 and 18 months to complete.
If you decide to do your apprenticeship part-time, it will also understandably increase the duration.
What are my options after my Intermediate Apprenticeship?
Once you’ve completed your Intermediate Apprenticeship, you have various options. For example, you could continue onto an Advanced Apprenticeship, either at the same company or with another organisation. Alternatively, you might simply be offered a permanent job.
Will my grades at school determine how quickly I can complete the Intermediate Apprenticeship?
To start an Intermediate Apprenticeship, many companies will require you to have a certain number of GCSEs (grades A* to C, or grades 9-4 in the new grading system), typically including English and Maths.
If you don’t meet these entry requirements, the employer may ask you to complete a Functional Skills qualification in English, Maths and ICT. Unfortunately, this won’t contribute to the 20% off-the-job part of your apprenticeship, so it’s likely your apprenticeship will last slightly longer overall.
Find and apply for an Intermediate Apprenticeship on our job listings now!
More articles like this
- Doing an Intermediate Apprenticeship in IT
- Intermediate Apprenticeships: what are the options?
- What skills do intermediate apprenticeships develop?
- Doing an Intermediate Apprenticeship in business
- Doing an Intermediate Apprenticeship in health & social care
- What is the equivalent of an Intermediate Apprenticeship?
- Doing an intermediate Apprenticeship in graphic design
- What is an Intermediate Apprenticeship?
- What is the difference between an Intermediate Apprenticeship & higher-level apprenticeships?
- Excelling on an Intermediate Apprenticeship