You’ve decided on the universities you want to investigate, but before putting them on your UCAS form it’s really worth visiting them during open days to get a proper idea of what you could expect if you were accepted there and ended up attending.
Open days: planning ahead
- Figure out the department that’s relevant to you and find it on a map
- Download a campus map to your smartphone or print one out
- Note where the uni is in relation to the town or city
- Make a loose schedule for the day, book or note down anything particular (eg talks, accommodation tours) you know you want to check out
- Note down any questions you need answers to, to ask staff or student representatives
On the day
- Attend at least one or two subject talks, sample lectures, taster sessions or department visits
- Take a tour of the campus, accommodation and SU venues
- Figure out the route from campus to the town/city itself, if possible walk it or take public transport, to see if it’s close enough for you
Image courtesy of Wikipedia.