Are you looking for a rewarding role ensuring the safety of people and the environment? This apprenticeship is a fantastic opportunity to gain diverse and valuable experience working in a specialised field.
About the Programme
A Nuclear Health Physics Monitor offers radiological monitoring services in the nuclear industry. Their role is to protect people, plant and the environment against the harmful effects of ionising radiation and contamination.
Our 2.5-year Nuclear Health Physics Monitor Apprenticeship offers you an amazing opportunity to gain hands-on experience in radiation monitoring within the nuclear industry.
You'll play a vital role in providing radiological monitoring services at HM Naval Base Devonport, using specialised instruments. This will see you learn a whole range of important tasks, including:
- Taking readings of surface, air and personal contamination
- Detecting radiation dose rates using various detectors
- Performing calculations to assess exposure risks
- Testing and calibrating monitoring equipment
- Recording and communicating results to teams
- Supporting emergency response.
By taking care of our staff, assets, and the environment every day, you'll help to ensure everyone's safety and well-being.
Once you complete this apprenticeship, you'll have the specialised skills and experience needed to pursue a career as a Nuclear Health Physics Monitor.
We'll support your development all the way. Our apprentices are based right at the heart of HM Naval Base Devonport, where all your training and assessments will take place. As you work side by side with experienced colleagues, you'll gain hands-on experience in various parts of the dockyard, adapting to the ever-changing needs of our business.
What you’ll need
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade 4/C or above, including maths and English.
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS (Baseline security) and many of them require you to be eligible for full Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
● Fully funded qualification
● Personal development training and opportunities
● Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
● Competitive pension scheme
● Employee share scheme
● Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.