Cost consultancy is the management and procurement of a construction project predominantly but not limited to cost and contract management. Cost Consultants may often be referred to as professional quantity surveyors (PQS) or Cost Managers. Their role is to represent the client and protect the client’s interest within the clients design team. They are involved in every stage of a construction project from early inception through to final delivery with a main contractor. Their role includes working with a client or developer to estimate the initial cost of a proposed build, to managing the setting up of contracts and the post contract financial management between the client and the main contractor of construction projects.
This role is predominantly based within Mace or client offices, with regular site visits. As an Apprentice Cost Consultant you will be assisting the Lead Cost Consultant with a variety of responsibilities, including:
- Developing an understanding of the procurement process to realise best value
- Helping our clients to understand the potential costs of construction projects
- Assisting the team with producing feasibility estimates, cost estimates and cost plans
- Assisting the team with building measurements and design assessments
- Assisting with the management of costs through the construction phase of the project by regular reporting and monitoring
- Management of project design and cost changes during construction
- Conducting site valuations and payments to the main contractor
- Assisting the clients team with implementing the construction contract
You will be sponsored through a five-year part-time BSc degree in quantity surveying. We will provide support and mentoring to develop your experience and achieve Membership of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors within six years.