Are you ready to embark on a career that combines precision, safety, and teamwork? Join our Slinger Apprenticeship at Babcock and become a vital part of our lifting team at HM Naval Base Devonport.
About the programme
Each day a vast number of large and heavy engineering components, equipment and vehicles need to be safely lifted and transported around HM Naval Base Devonport.
As a Slinger Apprentice, you’ll learn how to support these operations and develop the fundamental knowledge, skills and behaviours required to become a core member of the lifting team.
You’ll work onsite as a Rigger, lifting, moving, and positioning loads during construction projects. You'll be responsible for planning and coordinating all the elements needed to execute these operations safely and successfully. Day to day, you’ll work with a wide range of equipment, from skids and rollers to various types of winches, hoists, and cranes.
During this comprehensive 3-year apprenticeship, you'll acquire a wide range of skills:
- The art of carrying out various lifting operations.
- Working with diverse equipment, including cranes, portable tools, and rigging/fleeting equipment.
- Staying up to date with all current legislation and changes relevant to the field.
- Ensuring that safety and compliance are top priorities.
You'll be working in environments that can be challenging, like working at heights, over water, or in confined spaces. We'll support you all the way - you'll be equipped with the skills to work independently and as part of a team, always prioritising health, safety, and the environment.
If you're excited about working in a role where precision, teamwork, and safety are paramount, then this is the perfect opportunity for you.
During your apprenticeship, you will have the opportunity to spend approximately 3 to 4 weeks away at our training provider's sites in Birmingham (carried out one week at a time), which will equip you with invaluable experience. Accommodation and travel will be provided.
Your apprenticeship will primarily take place on-site. You’ll be immersed in real-world scenarios and gain hands-on learning experience that is both practical and effective.
You will spend time with the Lifting Services Training team and through rotations across projects, you'll grow your expertise in lifting and gain a broad insight into our operations.
What you’ll need
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade 4/C or above, including English, Maths and a Science or Technology based subject.
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS (Baseline security) and many of them require you to be eligible for full Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
● Fully funded qualification
● Personal development training and opportunities
● Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
● Competitive pension scheme
● Employee share scheme
● Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.