Do you want to be part of something extraordinary? Something that not only gives you the opportunity to develop and grow your career, but offers excitement, challenge and intrigue at the same time making a difference to keeping our country, and everyone in it, safe?
That’s what the proud people of AWE have been doing for more than 70 years.
Our role in nuclear defence and what we do to support the UK’s nuclear deterrent, is vital in defending our country from the most extreme threats and to keeping the peace. From developing the warheads for the nuclear deterrent, to providing counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions, the work we do is of global importance.
Working together with a team of remarkable people who achieve extraordinary things everyday, you too could be a part of something that makes a difference. How? The answer is AWE.
As a Manufacturing Engineering Apprentice, you will develop the knowledge, technical and people skills to enable the design and manufacture a wide range of products, materials and tools to support our mission. Our operations include precision component manufacture, fabrication, explosive formulation, fissile material production, rubbers and plastics, and warhead assembly and disassembly.
The role of a Manufacturing Engineer within this area of our business is to realise product design, delivering and managing process and tooling designs / improvements and introduction. This will include the creation and configuration of manufacturing process documentation in accordance with appropriate procedures and legislation within a highly regulated environment to operate safely, efficiently and in an environmentally sustainable way, meeting the requirements set out by AWE and those of the Professional Body Institutions.
You will develop a fundamental and core knowledge of engineering / science principles and practices and will be able to demonstrate discipline skills commensurate with your role that typically will include design, plant performance enhancements, operational management, project management and maintenance of safety standards utilising analytical thinking to provide innovative solutions.
As a Manufacturing Engineer apprentice, you will gain the following skills:
- A detailed knowledge of manufacturing techniques and processes which may include machining, presswork, inspection, moulding and metallurgy.
- Design to Manufacture (D2M) experience of tooling or equipment including requirements capture and presenting at design reviews.
- Knowledge of materials and their properties
- Knowledge of design of components, CAD tool design and manufacture
- Good knowledge of manufacturing systems and knowledge of MRP/ERP systems
- An understanding and application of UK Health and Safety Legislation in a Manufacturing or Production environment including quality standards, best practice and procedures
- Experience of applying Lean Manufacturing Techniques, Continuous Improvement, Quality Tools and Model Based Realisation
- An ability to produce or assist in the production of Manufacturing Documentation (designs, drawings, reports, specification and operating instructions)
Location: You will be based in Aldermaston, near Reading
Level 6 entry requirements:
- Must be age 18 or above as of 1st of September 2022 due to security requirements for the role
- Typically grade C or above in at least five GCSE's including English, Math’s and a Science subject
- Typically, candidates will hold a minimum of 240 UCAS points or existing relevant Level 3 qualifications
- Good communication skills (i.e. technical speaking, active listening, professional writing, professional body language and technical presentation)
- Reliability with a high level of respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters
- Ability to work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team
- Ability to understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
- Good time management skills (i.e. planning and completing work to schedule)
- A supportive attitude to change and ability to respond positively to change management processes
- Ownership for personal development
- Open attitude towards receiving feedback
- Committed to health & safety (i.e. personal, workplace, radiological and nuclear)
- Effective at following rules, procedures and principles
- Enthusiasm for the nuclear industry
- PC literate
- Excellent team working skills
- Ability to concentrate for long periods
Duration of training: 4 years
What we offer:
- We offer our apprentices a starting salary of £13,500
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
You must be able to Join AWE in September 2022. We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, we close our applications. We look forward to hearing from you.