Want to maintain the vital equipment that powers naval operations? Start your career in engineering through our 4-year Crane Fitter Apprenticeship at HM Naval Base Clyde.
About the programme
Based at HM Naval Base Clyde, you'll help provide specialist services for submarines, ships and infrastructure.
Working dockside, you'll be trained to assemble, install and repair dockside cranes. This critical equipment enables the safe handling of munitions and stores for naval vessels.
You'll gain well-rounded skills in:
- Crane maintenance procedures
- Mechanical and electrical systems
- Fault finding and diagnostics
- Equipment installation
- Munitions handling.
Upon qualifying, you'll play a key role in keeping our naval facilities running smoothly. And you'll launch a varied career in defence engineering.
During your programme, you’ll study at West College Scotland, where you'll work towards achieving the SVQ 2 Performing Engineering Operations at SCQF Level 5. You’ll also pursue a National Certificate in Electrical Engineering at SCQF Level 6 and an SVQ 3 Engineering Maintenance (Electrical) at Level 6, a qualification that focuses on the electrical aspects of engineering maintenance.
What you’ll need
- National 5 or above qualifications in Maths, English, and a Science or a technical subject.
- Two other qualifications at National 4/5 or above.
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
- Fully funded qualification
- Personal development training and opportunities
- Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
- Competitive pension scheme
- Employee share scheme
- Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.