Interested in making a difference as a Mechanical Engineer? On this 4-year apprenticeship, you’ll gain a BEng Honours Degree in Mechanical Engineering and set yourself up for a career in the nuclear sector.
About the programme
As a Mechanical Engineer Apprentice, you'll be involved in a mix of mechanical analysis, design, 3D modelling, 2D drawing development, site surveying, and much more. You'll also get to support manufacturing and installation processes, ensuring that our projects are executed to the highest standards.
As part of our team, you’ll get involved in:
- Mechanical analysis and design.
- Developing 3D models using Autodesk Inventor and 2D drawings with Autodesk AutoCAD.
- Site surveying and producing design-based documentation.
- Supporting hazard elimination, risk reduction, and quality systems.
At the end of your apprenticeship, you'll be ready to step into the role of a Mechanical Engineer. You'll have the expertise to contribute to nuclear new builds, decommissioning, and defence projects. And with our support, you can aim for professional recognition through the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
Your academic journey will be at Lakes College, where you'll pursue the Level 6 Mechanical Engineering Technician Apprenticeship standard and a BEng Honours Degree in Mechanical Engineering. It's a perfect blend of classroom sessions and real-world applications.
What you’ll need
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or higher with English and Mathematics at grade B/6 or higher.
- 3 A Levels in STEM subjects or an equivalent Level 3 qualification like a BTEC at Merit or Distinction with a strong mathematical component.
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
● Fully funded qualification
● Personal development training and opportunities
● Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
● Competitive pension scheme
● Employee share scheme
● Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.