Who we’re looking for
Schroders’ traineeship programme is your chance to gain a year of hands-on, paid work experience. If you’ve just finished your A-levels or your BTECs then this programme provides you with a chance to explore the world of work. We also accept applications from graduates.
Although you may have never heard of Schroders before visiting our website, this traineeship could be for you because key to the purpose of the programme is to teach you about what, why and how we do what we do.
On this programme, you’ll be part of our Operations teams within the Infrastructure or Wealth Management parts of our business.
As a trainee, you will receive ongoing training designed to develop throughout the year, where you will have the chance to improve your skills as well as your technical knowledge. We support you to take the Investment Foundation Certificate, which is a professional industry qualification and you’ll be paid competitively above the London living wage.
We’re a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we’ve been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn’t change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We’re close to our clients, in the heart of the UK’s financial centre. We offer flexible working appropriate for a client solutions focussed role.
Performance Services (Infrastructure)
The Performance Team at Schroders is a team of over 30 professionals working in London, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan and New York. We work to calculate and explain the performance of our client’s accounts by providing reporting on over 2000 accounts.
Clients depend on our reporting to understand how their portfolios are performing and to evaluate the success of Schroders at managing their investment. Information is also provided to the marketing teams so that they can sell our products based on the success of existing clients. The team also summarises the account performance for senior management in monthly reports that are used to govern the business and so that they can understand where improvements are required.
What you’ll do (Performance Services)
Some of the tasks and projects you’ll be involved in are:
- Producing daily reports showing the performance of funds against benchmarks and distributing to over 160 people
- Producing reports showing how Schroders funds have performed verses our competitors and creating summaries of performance for senior management and board members
- Liaising directly with product managers, fund managers and marketing executives and responding to ad hoc requests and queries on an accurate & timely basis
- Assisting with providing evidence to auditors to ensure accurate verification of our performance presentation standards
- Providing and interpreting performance attribution and analysis generated by specialist systems
- Ensuring that queries received by the team are understood clearly and resolved to a high standard
Derivative Services Team (Infrastructure)
The Derivative Services Team is a central team within Investment Operations, reporting to the COO Investment with a global remit. The team provides collateral services, including managing over-the-counter contracts across all asset classes and reporting to the Investment teams within the Schroders Asset Management Business.
The team manages daily collateral calls on over-the-counter Derivative positions with various Investment Banks. Collectively the team are responsible for ensuring opposing parties do not default on payments due after trades, which is managed by the movement of cash or bonds (collateral).
What you’ll do (Derivative Services)
Some of the tasks and projects you’ll be involved in are:
- Liaising with other operational areas, internal clients and external parties on matters relating to day to day operations
- Management of daily collateral call between Schroders and our brokers
- Assisting managers/team leaders in implementing changes to working practices and procedures so as to improve individual/team performance and efficiency and reduce operational risk
- Reporting on and escalating unresolved discrepancies falling outside agreed services standards and working with the team to improve existing processes/ minimise risk
- Ensuring that procedures and controls are up dated in a timely manner, employees are fully trained, deadlines are met and issues escalated to senior management when required
Digital and Intermediary Support (Wealth Management)
The Digital Support team’s main responsibilities is the operational support for staff users, intermediary users and client users of Cazenove Capital’s client portal (eServices) and mobile app (My Wealth). A big focus for the team is making sure that all users experience a first class, seamless, and professional level of client service.
On the intermediary side, the team is responsible for sending large holding data files on a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly basis to pension providers, as per our service level agreements.
What you’ll do
Some of the tasks and projects you’ll be involved in within the Digital and Intermediary Support teams are:
- Acting as a key point of contact for all internal eServices and My Wealth queries in London. Where applicable, provide guidance, assistance and training to other Cazenove and Schroders entities
- Ensuring all digital queries, amendments to a user’s access, adding/removing accounts, replacement credentials, PIN resets, are dealt with in a timely manner.
- Providing a full range of professional, technical and general support to clients and Wealth Management personnel on the features and benefits of eServices and My Wealth
- Working closely with front office, marketing/IT teams and developers to continuously enhance eServices and My Wealth, with new functions and features
- Developing processes which increase efficiency between the digital team and other middle office teams, identifying areas which can be automated and improved
- Monitoring new Intermediary portfolios to ensure the specific Intermediary is given access to all newly opened Intermediary accounts
- Reviewing each Intermediaries consolidated accounts, to ensure the correct portfolios are included
- Producing regular reports for all Intermediaries and working closely with internal operations teams to test and implement new Intermediary reporting requirements
- Providing support to incoming Intermediary queries and producing reports for senior management
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
- You’ll have at least 96 UCAS points and be 18 years old by Monday 7 September to apply for the 2020 intake
- A calm and confident demeanour is required when training users who are unfamiliar with mobile devices (Digital and Intermediary Support role only)
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
- Focussed on continuous improvement, quality and delivery
- Effective written, presentational and verbal skills
- The ability to work to deadlines
What you’ll be like
- You’ll be an ambitious and enthusiastic self-starter who is eager to learn more about our industry and our business
- A team player with a pro-active approach to getting things done, you’ll love a challenge and are keen to work in an exciting, fast paced environment
- You’ll be flexible and eager to learn with a keen eye for detail
Ultimately, we can teach what you need to know about the job we just need you to bring your drive, passion and enthusiasm to make the most of the opportunity to start building your career.
We’re looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You’re welcome here whatever your sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.
Please note we recruit on a rolling basis so recommend you apply early.
Start date: Monday 7 September 2020