Looking to gain experience in quality assurance across a diverse range of naval defence projects? If so, our 2-year Higher Level Apprenticeship in Quality Assurance could be the perfect fit for you.
About the Programme
Our Quality Assurance apprentices play a vital role in ensuring that our organisation operates at its best by acting as the 'voice of the customer'. They help maintain the highest standards, identify problems, and recommend improvements to ensure our policies, processes, and products are of the highest standards.
As a Quality Assurance apprentice, you will be an integral member of our Quality Management function. You’ll be based at HM Naval Base Devonport in Plymouth, with potential opportunities to travel across the UK.
Over the course of the 2 years, you will work in multiple placements, including:
- Management System/Internal Audit
- Supplier Quality
- Operational Quality in production facilities
- On board naval warships or nuclear submarines
- Facilities (Nuclear and Non-Nuclear)
- Major Infrastructure Projects
- Defence Quality Field Force (working alongside the Customer)
- Warships Quality
Depending on your placement, your typical day could include carrying out external supplier inspections, looking for efficiencies or problem-solving on our production shop floor, or the administration of internal and external audits.
Your tasks could include:
- Supporting senior quality practitioners to formulate Quality Strategy
- Inspecting and testing parts and products
- Planning and conducting audits
- Developing Quality Control Plans
- Managing supplier relationships
- Analysing data to identify improvements
- Guiding and supporting others to improve quality competency and performance
- Developing documents to support new projects.
It’s an exciting opportunity where your contributions as a Quality Technician will directly impact the quality and safety of our products, processes, and policies, helping us to continuously improve and keep our operations safe.
You'll study to become a Level 4 Quality Practitioner which aligns with Chartered Quality Institute Practitioner (PCQI) professional recognition.
Your course is designed to equip you with the essential skills and knowledge to excel in the field of quality assurance. Through a mix of theoretical learning and hands-on application, you'll gain the tools you need to thrive.
What you’ll need
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade 4/C or above, including maths and English and 3 A-Levels grades A-C.
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS (Baseline security) and many of them require you to be eligible for full Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
● Fully funded qualification
● Personal development training and opportunities
● Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
● Competitive pension scheme
● Employee share scheme
● Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.