Interested in finance and accountancy and want to work in a large, progressive, and diverse international business? Our finance apprenticeship could be the perfect fit for you. Discover a varied, fast-paced and rewarding career and play an integral role as we create a safe and secure world, together.
About the programme
Our Finance Apprenticeship provides significant responsibility and exciting opportunities for career progression.
From day one, you will have a dedicated mentor who understands your business area and will support you throughout your development. You'll work on interesting projects, collaborate with key stakeholders, and deliver tangible outputs that make a difference.
Throughout your apprenticeship, you will gain exposure to new environments and develop skills that will kickstart your career in business finance:
- Creating and interpreting information
- Effectively communicating information to stakeholders
- Proactively managing personal development
- Working under tight deadlines and adapting to changing priorities
- Coordinating with others to meet deadlines and changing priorities
- Produce quality and accurate information
- Apply accounting and tax knowledge
- Consistently deliver high-quality and accurate data and information.
You'll enjoy placements across a wide range of areas including Submarines, Warships, Naval Bases, Contract Management and IT projects, offering variety and insight into our operations.
As an apprentice, you'll spend your time onsite at HM Naval Base Devonport, attending virtual training sessions, and receiving onsite visits from our training provider to assess your progress.
From the start, you'll be working towards an AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) qualification, which will equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge for your role.
As you work through your apprenticeship you will have the ability to gain varying levels of AAT qualifications (depending on your starting point). By the end of your apprenticeship, you may hold Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4 AAT qualifications.
You'll be enrolled in a finance-focused course and assigned a dedicated study tutor. The course covers a wide range of topics, including software, costing, and bookkeeping, with end-of-topic exams every few months.
These exams contribute to your overall grade at the end of the year.
With access to high-quality resources and flexible learning options, this programme allows you to apply what you learn directly to your daily work at Babcock.
It's an excellent opportunity to combine practical experience with academic study and enhance your educational journey.
What you’ll need
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade C/4 or above, including maths and English, along with 3 A-Levels grades A-C.
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS (Baseline security) and many of them require you to be eligible for full Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
- Fully funded qualification
- Personal development training and opportunities
- Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
- Competitive pension scheme
- Employee share scheme
- Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.