Do you want to turn your passion for engineering and science into a rewarding career? Our 3.5 year apprenticeship gives you hands-on experience in inspecting materials, welds, components and plant to ensure the Royal Navy’s fleet is ready for any mission.
About the programme
This is no ordinary engineering apprenticeship. As a Non-Destructive Testing Engineering Technician, you’ll use various methods, such as ultrasonics, radiography and infrared thermography, to detect cracks and other imperfections in manufactured components, including those that have been in service for a period of time.
It’s an exciting role where you'll be at the heart of crucial decisions. Whether to operate, repair, or replace a component will hinge on your precise findings.
You'll gain a broad range of skills including:
- Three Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) methods, including a complex method, such as ultrasonics, eddy current, radiography or infrared thermography.
- The ability to apply multiple scientific principles to identify flaws obscured by structural or volumetric features that are not necessarily visible on the surface.
- Formula-based engineering and the scientific principles underpinning relevant current technologies.
- How to use materials, equipment, tools, processes and products relating to NDT.
- Preparation of NDT procedures, technique sheets and work instructions for use by NDT operators.
- How to use and apply information from technical literature, codes of practice and industry standards.
- The limitations of standard tests and measurements relevant to their field of activity.
You'll also enjoy spending time with our friendly NDT team and interacting with different parts of our business to expand your skills and knowledge.
On finishing your apprenticeship, you’ll be ready to start an exciting career as a Non-Destructive Testing Engineering Technician, helping to support the Royal Navy’s fleet.
Your apprenticeship will primarily take place on-site. You’ll be immersed in real-world scenarios and gain hands-on learning experience that is both practical and effective.
During your apprenticeship, you will have the opportunity to spend some time away at one of our training provider’s sites in Sheffield (carried out one week at a time), which will equip you with invaluable experience. Accommodation and travel will be provided.
What you’ll need
- At least 5 GCSEs at grade C/5 including English, Maths and Science/Technology.
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS (Baseline security) and many of them require you to be eligible for full Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
- Fully funded qualification
- Personal development training and opportunities
- Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
- Competitive pension scheme
- Employee share scheme
- Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.
Please be aware that if there is a high level of interest in this programme, applications may close earlier than advertised. To give yourself the best chance of being considered for a place on this programme, please submit your application as early as possible.