Who is Leonardo?
We manufacture industry leading products for airborne and space applications for customers across the globe. We employ more than 4,000 people across the UK with sites in Basildon, Bristol, Edinburgh, Luton and Southampton. We are continually expanding and are delighted to offer a range of exciting opportunities through our Manufacturing Craft Apprenticeship Programme working at the forefront of technology within world leading engineering teams.
Leonardo is a global company working at the forefront of engineering and technology.
The Company is respected around the world for delivering innovative technological solutions in environments where failure is not an option.
What do we do?
Our teams of expert and passionate professionals are responsible for developing equipment and systems that provide:
- armed forces with the situational awareness to deliver operational effectiveness and return home safely
- emergency services with the tools to communicate and collaborate in order to rescue those in peril on land or in the sea
- security teams with the means to identify, track and protect against threats to our critical national infrastructure and way of life
- international space programmes with ability to understand more about our planet and the very fabric of our universe
In these markets, performance and reliability are essential; our customers’ operational requirements will continually evolve and so must our technologies to ensure that we remain market leaders.
In delivering against these challenges, people are our greatest asset and as a Leonardo apprentice you will broaden your horizons to a diverse range of possibilities. You will be learning while working alongside design, development, manufacturing, test and delivery teams to create this cutting edge technology for a worldwide market.
If you are willing to challenge yourself, to stretch your boundaries, to apply your mind to the solution of challenging problems, join our accredited apprentice programme and ensure you give yourself the best foundation for your career. You will be learning while working alongside the people that create cutting edge technology for a worldwide market.
The 3 year Manufacturing Craft Apprentice Programme
On joining the Leonardo Manufacturing Craft Apprentice Programme, you will unlock a wealth of learning and development opportunities. We have created a programme that not only increases your technical skills and capability through hands on experience working with specialists in their field but also develops your academic and practical understanding of the diverse world that is Manufacturing & Supply Chain. You will become part of a programme that is managed and tailored to provide a springboard into the world of Manufacturing. Our programme is split into 2 phases:
Years 1 and 2:
Through a mixture of work placements and college modules you will develop the key engineering skills and knowledge to work effectively in a high technology manufacturing company, gaining the necessary academic credits for an NC in Engineering Systems and vocational credits for your SVQ.
Year 3: Placement within Production & Final Placement
- Mechanical Assembly
- Electromechanical assembly
- Electro optic assembly
- Environmental Facility
- Material Supply and Logistics
- Master Production Scheduling
- Industrial Engineering
- Machine shop
This on the job training will enable you to complete the SVQ level 3 evidence logs.
What do we need from you?
You must have (as a minimum) the following qualifications:
4 Standard Grades (1-3)/ National 5 (A-C)/ National 4 (or equivalent)
- Mandatory : Mathematics or Physics & English
- Mandatory : Technological subjects e.g. Graphic Communication, Product Design, Craft & Design, Tech Studies, Computing , woodwork, metalwork etc.
Or Equivalent to Standard Grades/ National 5
- Ability to Achieve High Performance
- Want Continuous Improvement
- Develop Customer Focus
- Able to Work Together
- Demonstrate Self Awareness & Confidence
- A passion for Technical Analysis, judgement & Problem Solving
- Have a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK
- Successfully complete SC security clearance
What’s in it for you?
Leonardo values its people. As a result, we offer comprehensive and competitive benefits packages.
Some examples are listed below:
These offer the opportunity to:
Earn while you Learn
- Competitive starting salary
- Annual incremental pay increases
- 3 performance related pay reviews in the two years following your apprenticeship
Work in Flexible & Diverse Work Environment
Contribute to society
- The opportunity to actively promote engineering and science in the community and to represent the business in promoting opportunities with Leonardo
- Meet end-users and understand the value of the work you do
What can I expect from my working environment?
You will be working within world class facilities. Dependent on your role, you may be working in an office or lab environment or a combination of both. There may also be opportunities for occasional travel between the different sites and to meet with customers and suppliers.
What are you waiting for?
A career in Leonardo is extremely rewarding. You will be working with some of the most talented people in the UK on some of the most exciting, technically advanced projects.
See how you can make a difference – APPLY NOW
- Flexible working hours
- 33 days holiday plus flex days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Pension scheme (Contributory)
- Private healthcare (Contributory)