Join Babcock as a Communications Engineering Apprentice and enter the innovative world of IT and communication systems as you build the skills needed for an exciting future in communications engineering.
About the programme
On this 3-year apprenticeship programme, you’ll get to work on all types of communication equipment, IT and computer networks, repairing and restoring vital communication systems and services for our customers.
During this time, you will earn a competitive apprentice wage, gain technical experience in the workplace and obtain academic qualifications.
Working onsite with engineering mentors, you’ll learn about the key components required to provide a robust and reliable communication system, whilst gaining multiple technical skills including:
• Fault finding and component replacement
• Testing and measuring
• Equipment maintenance
• System set up and maintenance
• Equipment calibration
You’ll perform maintenance on communications systems, carry out performance tests, complete fault diagnosis and repair communication systems. You’ll also support in the development of new systems and customer projects, alongside expert communications engineers.
Once you have successfully completed your apprenticeship, you’ll become a qualified Communications Engineer playing a critical role within our Communications Engineering team ensuring that systems meet the required level of service.
As part of the structured training programme, you will gain qualifications that will help you on your way to becoming a qualified Communications Engineer.
You’ll attend formal BTEC training courses every 6 weeks on subjects such as Electronics, Mathematics, Computer Systems and Telecommunications.
During your apprenticeship, you will be focused on completing your Level 3 Radio Network Technician Apprenticeship. You will also work towards gaining a Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Telecommunications and a Level 3 Advanced Diploma in ICT Systems and Principles.
What you’ll need
• A minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at C/4 grade including English and Maths at Grade B/6.
• 2 A Levels at grade C or above (or equivalent) - Maths and Science are desirable, but not essential.
• You will need to demonstrate a passion for engineering and a proactive approach to problem solving. You will be able to work well in a team, communicate with others well, possess good organisational skills and have excellent attention to detail.
• Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
● Fully funded qualification
● Personal development training and opportunities
● Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
● Competitive pension scheme
● Employee share scheme
● Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.