Chemistry Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship (Level 3, Advanced)
Do you want to be part of something extraordinary? Something that not only gives you the opportunity to develop and grow your career, but offers excitement, challenge and intrigue at the same time making a difference to keeping our country, and everyone in it, safe?
That’s what the proud people of AWE have been doing for more than 70 years.
Our role in nuclear defence and what we do to support the UK’s nuclear deterrent, is vital in defending our country from the most extreme threats and to keeping the peace. From developing the warheads for the nuclear deterrent, to providing counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions, the work we do is of global importance.
Working together with a team of remarkable people who achieve extraordinary things everyday, you too could be a part of something that makes a difference. How? The answer is AWE.
As a Materials and Analytical Science Laboratory Technician Apprentice, you will spend the first few weeks of your apprenticeship within the Skills Academy; before moving out into placements within the Materials and Analytical Sciences laboratories across the AWE site. The Materials and Analytical Sciences function are responsible for the research, testing and analysis of a number of different materials ranging from warhead components to environmental samples. This work is vital in assuring our mission to deliver the warhead is accomplished whilst keeping our people and environment safe.
During the time in placements you will undertake and complete various laboratory-based tasks which will enable you to develop a complete set of skills and knowledge required to work successfully at AWE.
During your apprenticeship journey, you will learn the following skills:
- Laboratory safety
- Handling of hazardous substances- awareness of radioactive and explosive materials
- Quality and its application in a laboratory environment
- Customer service skills
- Use of laboratory equipment
- Preparation of substances
- Sample preparation
- Analysis of samples
- Data handling
- Checking and reporting of results
In addition, you will also be given the opportunity for personal development through activities such as team building challenges, organisational awareness presentations, health and safety workshops and charity projects.
A part of this role will require wearing Health and Safety equipment such as a respirator. Therefore, successful candidates will need to undergo a medical assessment for suitability for the position within the required parameters for the health and safety equipment’s requirements.
Location: You will be based in Aldermaston, near Reading
- Excellent team working skills
- Good communication skills
- Awareness of health and safety
- The ability to follow instructions
- The ability to concentrate for long periods
- A real passion for this type of work
- Preferably GCSE in Maths and English at Grade 4 or above (or equivalent)
- Must be age 18 or above as of 1st of September 2022 for Security Clearance requirements for the role.
Duration of training: 2 Years
What we offer:
- We offer our apprentices a starting salary of £11,000
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
You must be able to Join AWE in September 2022. We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, we close our applications. We look forward to hearing from you.
NOTE: If you currently hold a Level 3 Diploma in Engineering or similar, you should consider applying for a Degree level apprenticeship.