Want to discover an exciting engineering career that keeps Scotland's railways running? On this 4-year Rail Apprenticeship, you’ll gain the qualifications and experience needed to repair & maintain our fleet of on-track machines.
About the programme
As an On Track Engineering Technician Apprentice, you'll help ensure safe, reliable transport across the network. On-track machines are critical for the railway network’s maintenance – they’re used to ensure the track is maintained and adjusted to the correct tolerances, measuring and repairing faults, surveying the railway and for specific assets transporting materials.
With mentoring from our experienced staff, you'll gain extensive experience to become a valued On Track Engineering Technician.
You’ll be supported all the way through your training as you develop technical skills, safety expertise, communication skills, and more.
By the end of your apprenticeship, you'll be fully equipped and qualified to repair and maintain our highly technical fleet of on-track machines.
Through East Kilbride Group Training Association, you’ll study to achieve SVQ Level 3, a National Certificate, and then a Higher National Certificate (HNC) in an engineering discipline. You’ll also work towards other engineering railway qualifications through approved rail training providers.
What you’ll need
- 5 National 5/GCSEs at grade C or above including Maths, English and Science.
- You’ll be enthusiastic, motivated with good communications skills.
- You’ll be working during the day in the early part of your training and required to work night shifts later in your training, including weekends, indoors and outdoors, at all times and in all weathers.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
- Fully funded qualification
- Personal development training and opportunities
- Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
- Competitive pension scheme
- Employee share scheme
- Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.