Curious about the world of mechanical engineering and CAD design? Our 3-year Mechanical Design Apprenticeship offers a unique blend of hands-on experience and academic learning, setting you on the path to an exciting career in the nuclear sector.
About the programme
As part of our busy design office, you’ll work side-by-side with our seasoned experts who are not only knowledgeable but also friendly and supportive.
Your typical tasks will include:
- Assisting in the production of scoping calculations and supporting analysis.
- Creating models, drawings and design-based documentation.
- Crafting technical reports for customers or specific projects.
You’ll also get to spend time undertaking placements across a range of business areas.
By the end of your apprenticeship, you'll be well-equipped with the skills and knowledge to make significant contributions to the field of mechanical engineering and CAD design.
You’ll receive practical and theoretical training, combined with company-specific training given in the workplace.
Your academic journey will be at Lakes College, where you'll work towards the Level 5 Mechanical Engineering Technician Apprenticeship standard. This blend of classroom learning and on-the-job training will make sure you're well-prepared for a career as a Mechanical Designer.
What you’ll need
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, including English and Science.
- Maths at grade 5 (B) or above.
- 3 A Levels in related subjects or an equivalent Level 3 qualification like a BTEC.
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
● Fully funded qualification
● Personal development training and opportunities
● Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
● Competitive pension scheme
● Employee share scheme
● Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.
Please be aware that if there is a high level of interest in this programme, applications may close earlier than advertised. To give yourself the best chance of being considered for a place on this programme, please submit your application as early as possible.