Want to help engineer the future of naval defence? Our Engineering and Digital Manufacturing Apprenticeship puts you at the leading edge of technology across exciting projects.
About the programme
This is your chance to launch a career built on innovation. At our Rosyth site, you'll gain hands-on experience working on the design elements of the build, maintenance and refit of UK Royal Navy and international naval vessels.
This 3-year programme will grow and develop your specialised skills across engineering disciplines like production, planning, machining, automation and more.
Rotating through roles, you could be involved in:
- Integrating complex systems
- Controlling precision manufacturing
- Creating detailed designs
- Optimising build schedules
- Programming the latest CNC and robotic tech
- Analysing data to drive improvements
- Pushing innovation on digital transformation.
With access to cutting-edge tools and technology, you'll work on amazing projects like the Type 31 Frigate and UK Submarine Dismantling Programme, as well as various commercial marine projects.
We’ll support you all the way. Our experts will mentor you to become an integral part of our future-focused engineering team. You'll help create and apply innovative solutions for current and emerging defence programmes.
As part of your apprenticeship, you’ll gain the following qualifications:
- SVQ Level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations
- SVQ Level 3 in your chosen engineering discipline
- National Certificate in your chosen discipline
- Core skills at intermediate 2/SCQF Level 5
- Diploma in Engineering & Digital Manufacturing at SCQF Level 8
- Plus, either an HNC at SCQF Level 7 or HND at SCQF Level 8 in an Engineering discipline relevant to your job role.
You'll complete training at Fife College and onsite at Rosyth dockyard, developing core engineering competencies and specialised skills. At the end of your apprenticeship, you'll be a qualified technical engineering professional.
What you’ll need
Five SQA National Qualifications:
- Maths and English at National Level 5
- Science or technical subject at National Level 5
- Two others at National Level 4 or 5.
It is recommended that applicants have also completed one of the following:
- A modern apprenticeship in Engineering
- Two or more SQA Highers
- A National Certificate (SCQF level 6) or a Higher National Certificate (SCQF level 7) qualification in Engineering, or equivalent.
Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
- Fully funded qualification
- Personal development training and opportunities
- Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
- Competitive pension scheme
- Employee share scheme
- Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.