Job Title: Mechanical Apprenticeship
Location: Trostre, Llanelli
Salary : Sponsored Pre-Apprenticeship year unpaid , Year 1 £12,700
Length of Apprenticeship : Pre-apprenticeship year, followed by 3 year apprentice programme
Tata Steel is one of the world’s most geographically diversified steel producers, with operations in 26 countries and commercial offices in over 35 countries.
In Europe we are one of the largest steel producers. But it’s not just our size that sets us apart. What makes us different is our approach to business. We believe our strength is how we build collaborative relationships that create new success for our customers
The role of mechanical craftsperson can vary greatly, depending on the plant and location of your department. Daily activities range from planned and preventative maintenance to fault finding and problem solving when things go wrong, ensuring the plant and its manufacturing units perform to their maximum. Structured training will enable you to work on a large variety of mechanical equipment from large cranes, heavy machinery (e.g. gearboxes, pumps, bearings), to complex hydraulic equipment or machining components in our Engineering workshops. A mechanical craftsperson needs to be flexible, knowledgeable and highly motivated.
If you have (or are expecting to achieve) 5 GCSEs or equivalent (including English, Maths and Science) at Grades A* - C or level 4 - 9, you can apply to join the Enhanced Engineering Programme.
The Enhanced Engineering Programme is a Welsh Government recognised pre-Apprenticeship Qualification and on successful completion of this programme, you will then be eligible to start as a paid Apprenticeship in September 2020. During this pre-apprenticeship year, Tata Steel will monitor your performance, whilst you work towards an NVQ Level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations with a Level 3 Engineering Qualification at a local college.
Engineering Apprenticeship Programme Overview:
As a Tata sponsored College student you will achieve:
- Enhanced Engineering Programme (previously known as Pathways to Apprenticeships)
- FE/ HE Academic Engineering Qualification (e.g. Level 3 Diploma) for Mechanical engineering;
- NVQ Level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations;
- Digital Literacy
As a Paid Tata Apprentice you will:
- Study a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering;
- Start your NVQ Level 3 Qualification in Engineering Maintenance;
- Undertake further training courses and projects.
In your second year, you will:
- continue with your NVQ Level 3 Qualification in Engineering Maintenance;
- be eligible to apply to start a HNC in Engineering
- undertake further training courses and projects.
In the final year of your apprenticeship you will:
- complete your NVQ Level 3 Qualification in Engineering Maintenance
- undertake Tata Steel’s competency assessments to confirm that you meet Tata Steel’s high levels of knowledge & skills
Package and benefits
Tata Steel offers a very competitive package - that recognises your contribution to our business and supports you in your professional development. This includes:
- nationally recognised qualifications
- employment opportunities and progression
- ongoing Tata Steel training, which has built a reputation as one of the best within the industry.
- free personal protective equipment including overalls and safety footwear;
- One of the UK’s leading defined contribution pension schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted shopping with various local and national retailers and services including Vodafone, Nandos, Virgin Holidays, Jaguar Land Rover, asos.