Audit means much more than crunching numbers. Auditors are integral to keeping the UK financial system safe for investors and the public. As auditors we use smart questions to get to know our client’s businesses, and maintain scepticism throughout the audit process to ensure we remain impartial. At the completion of an audit we can provide constructive feedback to our clients helping to improve the business’s operations, whilst also helping shareholders to have a full understanding of a company’s financial performance and business risks. As the majority of the audit process involves us working in different teams, with people at varying stages of their career, we’re fortunate to get to know our BDO colleagues really well and often become life-long friends.
In TRA, we are both technology assurance partners, and advisors for our clients. Our wide experience in managing technology risk, coupled with deep expertise in areas such as Information Security (including Cyber risks), Data Analytics, Systems and Processes, allows us to help our clients deploy technology in confidence, knowing that risk exposure is minimised and that their technology environments are optimally managed. Our team is trusted to give professional advice to senior client stakeholders, whilst using their own initiatives and expertise to support BDO in identifying new opportunities for business development and growth. You will be part of one of the fastest growing areas within BDO, a diverse team with a desire to succeed.
Part of the London Audit Group, the Technology Risk Assurance (TRA) team works with clients as well as internal teams, to provide innovative solutions to support the ever-developing pace of technology. You will be client-facing, and working within a wide range of industries, supporting the following areas in the team, and eventually specialising in one of these areas and taking on your own portfolio:
Cyber Security: Typically focussing on performing cyber controls, gap maturity assessments, and compliance / control reviews, you will support the Cyber Security Management team as they develop propositions and grow the business through technically focused assessments.
IT Controls: The role involves understanding our clients, and the various risks that are presented to the IT environments. Using the BDO methodology, you will look at areas concerning logical access controls, change management, data processing, and batch jobs, amongst various other control-based tests, whilst learning what some of the biggest risks are to information systems in the digital world today.
Data Analytics: Utilising BDO's Data Analytics tools, you will be helping with the management of Data, and getting maximum value from it. Data Analysis & mining techniques can be used to organize, join, match, and refine data so that it may be analysed to identify issues and inconsistencies that undermine decision making whilst also providing assurance that the information you are using is complete and accurate.
An ideal candidate would possess strengths that are aligned to the development of TRA, including, but not limited to: collaboration, innovation, communication, decision making, and analytical skills. You should express an interest in technological innovations relevant to audit, and a willingness to learn and adapt skills to become a part of one of BDO's fastest growing teams.
The Technology Risk Assurance team specialise in three core areas – Assurance, Data Analytics and Advisory. The minimum that our candidates will be expected to obtain are:
1) the Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), which is affiliated with the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA), and
2) the Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (CFAB), affiliated with the Institute of Chartered Accounts England and Wales (ICAEW). The CFAB is the first six modules of the Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA)
As trainees move into an agreed upon area of specialism within Assurance, Data Analytics or Advisory, they will be expected to pursue further qualifications specific to that sector. This could include, but is not limited to, the following options:
• The ACA – i.e. to complete the remaining nine modules over and above those relevant for the CFAB
• System Security Certified Professional (SSCP) and/or Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), affiliated with Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI) qualification,
• BCS (British Computer Society) International Diploma
Each route offers a wealth of opportunities and is designed to help you succeed.
The duration of each programme is 48 months.
Business Area Overview
• Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
• Use your insights and knowledge to help BDO develop new solutions and initiatives that reflect the changing pace of technology and the technologies of the future
• Become a subject matter expert in established and emerging risk areas such as Enterprise Solutions, Cyber Security, Data Protection, IT resilience, Project Assurance, and Information Security; being sought out and deployed on engagements on the basis of that subject matter expertise
• Develop a comprehensive understanding of the principles of technology risk, the context of risk allowing you to work with clients to identify and mitigate these risks
• Understand and document client systems environments relevant to the audited financial statements
• Identify and evaluate the design and operating effectiveness of client controls for managing risks around information security, change management, computer operations, and system design and development
• Provide advice to clients on how to improve their control environments, reduce risk and optimise operating efficiency
• Develop an understanding of tools and methodologies for analysing large volumes of data; working with clients to use data analytics for providing key insights to their business; supporting firm-wide initiatives for the use of data analytics in enhancing our own methodologies and frameworks
Candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
•3 A Levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
•Grade 9-4 in English Language & Maths GCSE
BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 17 locations across the UK, employing 5000 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £590m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 80,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $9bn.
BDO gives trainees all the training they need to attain their professional qualifications, along with extensive practical experience that includes on-site client work. The firm provides constant support to help you achieve your potential.
'Achieving My Potential’ is BDO’s organisational framework. It is made up of 4 key elements – core competencies, technical competencies, values and attitude. In essence, what you do and how you do it.