Want a career that merges precision with purpose? Our 4-year Nuclear Standards Inspection Apprenticeship at HM Naval Base Clyde is your opportunity to ensure the safety and security of vital national assets.
About the programme
As a Nuclear Standards Inspector (NSI) Apprentice at HMNB Clyde, you'll occupy a prestigious position within our Nuclear Operations Team.
Your unique responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring compliance and regulatory standards are met
- Maintaining the design intent of systems to guarantee safe operation
- Supporting maintenance, upgrades, and repairs for Royal Navy vessels, including Vanguard and Astute-Class nuclear submarines.
At the end of your apprenticeship, you'll be ready to step into the role of Nuclear Procedures and Standards Inspector Trainee, equipped with the skills and experience to make a significant impact.
During your apprenticeship, you'll study for a comprehensive suite of qualifications, including:
- SVQ 2 Performing Engineering Operations at SCQF Level 5
- NC in Mechanical Engineering at SCQF Level 6
- SVQ 3 Engineering Maintenance (Mechanical) at SCQF Level 6
- HNC in Mechanical Engineering at SCQF Level 6.
These qualifications will be provided by West College Scotland, with additional training in NDT Visual Inspection, Liquid Dye Penetrant, and a Nuclear Introductory Course provided by Lavender Training and HMS Sultan.
What you’ll need
- Maths at National 5 or above or equivalent.
- English at National 5 or above or equivalent.
- A Science or Technical subject at National 5 or above or equivalent.
- Two other subjects at National 4 or National 5 or above.
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
- Fully funded qualification
- Personal development training and opportunities
- Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
- Competitive pension scheme
- Employee share scheme
- Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.