As a global energy business, we lead the world in powering a cleaner, more sustainable future. And as our business is so diverse, so are the types of people we employ: from engineers and geologists out in the field, to IT professionals, research scientists, financial traders and retail workers.
Because of this, our teams come from all kinds of different cultures and backgrounds – so a career at BP is always going to be exciting, challenging and full of incredible opportunities.
Study for a level 6, Data scientist (integrated degree), BSc (Hons) in Data Science from the University of Kent
This is an exciting commercial and learning opportunity for anyone looking to start a career in data science. Here, you’ll have the opportunity grow through hands-on work experience within BP’s Global Business Services (GBS). Plus, you’ll be studying towards a BSc (Hons) in Data Science from the University of Kent too.
GBS has a vital role to deliver business solutions that result in great outcomes for BP. Our mission is to create innovative solutions driven by inspired people in a dynamic environment - this will encourage our transformation and it’ll help us keep up with a constantly changing world. To make this transformation happen, we’ll focus on five strategic priorities: transform services, digital innovator, deliver increased value, invest in people’s futures and end customer focused – enabled by our colleagues, culture, mindset and our values and behaviours. Our colleagues in GBS are the driving force behind this transformation journey. Our culture and mindset are built on our employee value proposition (EVP). It’s how we think and how we behave. It’s at the heart of the GBS strategy and it enables us to deliver great outcomes for BP.
By joining our team you’ll have the opportunity to apply the learning from your studies directly to a world-leading multi-national organization.
Join our data scientist apprenticeship to:
- Gain commercial experience in a dynamic environment within BP GBS.
- Study and gain a BSc (Hons) in Data Science from the University of Kent.
- Have access to on-going mentoring and support.
- Earn while you learn.
What to expect
Here, you’ll get on-the-job experience, working within BP’s Global Business Services (GBS). This will be on two 18-month rotations within the Global Solutions function. During your apprenticeship you’ll combine formal learning with studying towards a Data Science degree from the University of Kent.
You’ll have full support from your apprenticeship training provider and the BP early career programme team – as well as regular structured feedback on your development, progress to date, and next steps. In addition, you’ll be guided every step of the way by an experienced mentor and buddy.
The BSc (Hons) in Data Science from the University of Kent, includes:
- A 36-month blended learning programme (distance-learning focus), plus a 6-month period for the end-point assessment (EPA).
- 10 hours of learning per week (for 46 weeks in each calendar year). Each e-learning module takes 7 weeks.
- Additionally, throughout the programme you’ll attend face-to-face teaching sessions (typically, 10 to 15 days per year, via a combination of residential and in-the-workplace teaching, plus homework).
- Each module will be assessed by written assignment(s) and portfolio entries. Later modules are assessed by further examination.
- A face-to-face induction event as an introduction to Data Science.
- Webinars throughout the programme (typically two per module).
- Workplace visits/progress reviews (by apprenticeship advisor) every 6 to 8 weeks.
Stage I / Year 1
Stage II / Year 2
Stage III / final 18 months
The Stage I / Year 1 curriculum includes:
- Introduction to Data Science (30 credits; face-to-face 10 days)
- Exploratory Data Analytics I (15 credits; blended)
- Python Fundamentals (15 credits; blended)
- Basic Probability (15 credits; blended)
- Python in Practice (15 credits; blended)
- Initial Visualisation (15 credits; blended)
- Exploratory Data Analytics II (15 credits; blended)
- Additional non-credit bearing, optional course
- R Language Fundamentals (0 credits; blended)
The Stage II / Year 2 curriculum includes:
- Python for Statisticians (15 credits; blended)
- Time Series, Forecasting and Econometrics (15 credits; blended)
- Linear Algebra (15 credits; blended)
- Feature Engineering & Dimension Reduction (15 credits; face-to-face 5 days)
- Principal Component Analysis (15 credits; blended)
- Regression, Decision Tree & Clustering I (15 credits; blended)
- Regression, Decision Tree & Clustering II (15 credits; blended)
- Synthesis, Communication & Understanding I (15 credits; face-to face 5 days)
The Stage III / final 18 months curriculum includes:
- Research Project (including Project Identification, Planning, Optimisation and Implementation) and EPA (60; blended)
- Advanced Machine Learning (15 credits; blended)
- Synthesis, Communication & Understanding II (15 credits; face-to-face 5 days)
- Optional modules (choose 2 out of 5) Neural Networks & Deep Learning (15 credits; blended)
- Big and Unstructured Data (15 credits; blended)
- Advanced Python (15 credits; blended)
- Recommender Systems (15 credits; blended)
- Natural Language Processing (15 credits; blended)
Discover a range of opportunities
During your two 18-month rotations within BP Global Business Services (GBS) you’ll constantly learn and develop a strong career foundation.
Here is what you’ll experience on both of these rotations:
1. Business Process Management and Process Mining Centre of Expertise
Role - data model developer apprentice
The Business Process Management and Process Mining Centre operates as a Shared Service, providing Business Process Management and Process Mining capability across the BP Group. The Process Mining CoE manages the process mining toolset, data models and analytics. This provides support across GBS processes and visibility of our executed processes - all while identifying and supporting improvement initiatives.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the Data Model Development Lead to translate complex functional and technical requirements into data models. Plus, supporting the coding and build of these data models, while making changes where required and building new content.
- Assisting and, in some projects, leading the setup of process data extractions - including table and field mappings, liaising with the IT&S team to ensure timelines are met and the data is transferred in a timely complete manner.
- Testing of data connections and data validation.
- Assisting with the process mining system maintenance and upgrade management.
- Working with IT&S to ensure integrity of hardware and software, including backups and data management.
- Setup of process data extractions including table and field mappings.
- Dealing with system access management.Assisting with the design of KPI’s and metrics, through dashboard building and analytics.
As a data model developer apprentice, you’ll support a data model development lead who will be tasked with the creation and maintenance of data models for a group of projects. As a team, you’ll find and understand source data from ERP systems, take source data tables and translate this through coding into a step-by-step process output.
Here, you’ll will work within an agile based project environment for initial and large data model development. And as part of a continuous improvement, BAU type environment. The process scope for you will cut across any process, however, you’ll primarily be supporting S2P, O2C or R2R.
This is an exciting new space for BP and GBS specifically. Get the opportunity to develop the capability of the group and support the growth of our team - all while studying and developing your own skill set in data science.
2. DAS (Data & Analytics Services)
Role - data practitioner apprentice
DAS provides exemplar data services across the full information lifecycle from processing, enrichment & governance of core master data through to advanced analytics; underpinned by leading-edge innovative solutions.
Through our combined expertise, we are leading a strategic step-change in how the business uses and values data as an asset to drive speed, ease, certainty and trust in the data and services we manage on their behalf. Here, we add value by driving standardisation, process optimisation, protection of our data asset and delivery of a lower cost of run & change for data-related solutions.
Throughout this placement, you’ll have exposure to all six competency areas within the DAS function. which are:
- Strategy & Planning
- Data Management & Discovery
- Reporting & Analytics
- Data Operations
- Data Architecture & Design
- Data Risk & Controls
As a talented and enthusiastic individual, you’ll join our emerging function to help drive forward a truly transformational ambition. This is a unique opportunity for anyone to be part of the journey of building an Enterprise Data Capability from the ground up. Candidates will have involvement and deep exposure to all aspects of the full information lifecycle, from initial data creation, to data governance and mastery, through to analytical exploitation.
So who are we looking for?
You’ve got 3 A Levels, including 1 STEM subject, a Level 3 Apprenticeship or other relevant qualifications. You easily match with BP values and behaviours, as well as with the GBS culture and mindset. What’s more, your great communication and interpersonal skills give you the ability to engage with colleagues at all levels.
You pride with your inquisitive approach and have the curiosity to explore new questions, opportunities, data, and techniques. You also have the tenacity to improve methods and maximise insights. Your adaptability and dynamism when responding to varied tasks and organisational timescales is very impressive. Plus, you act with pragmatism in the face of real-world scenarios.
Good commercial awareness and consideration of problems in the context of organisation goals are some of your strongest skills. You have an impartial, scientific and hypothesis-driven approach to work, rigorous data analysis methods, and integrity in presenting data and conclusions in a truthful and appropriate manner. You can show commitment to keeping up to date with current thinking and maintaining personal development. You’re an excellent team worker. And, last but not least, you have a great desire to improve your skills as a data scientist, to continue your studies and learn on the job.
- Online application - this is your chance to show us what motivates you
- SJQ - a set of untimed questions will look to see how you match up with BP values
- Online tests - these will check your numerical, verbal reasoning and error checking abilities
- Assessment centre - a motivation and values-based interview, a group exercise and lunch
- Offer and feedback - a firm offer or guidance on how to succeed next time
You must be aged 18 or over at start of the programme in September 2020
If you’re studying A-levels or completing further education, you must be due to complete your qualification/s in 2020 (we’re unable to progress applications for students who will be part way through their studies when the programme starts).
You'll also need to have:
- 96 UCAS points to include a C in Maths A-Level
- 3 GCSEs Graded C/4 or above (or equivalent) including English Language and Maths
- Eligibility to study in the UK
Ideally, you’ll also have studied subjects such as Physics, Information Management, Data Science, Computer Science, Information Technology or Statistics.
This programme is designed for school leavers and other individuals who do not have a degree. If you’re studying or have a degree, please apply to our student and graduate opportunities.
We’ll discuss any travel that might be required during the selection process and we’re happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments you may need.
The apprenticeship programme is based at our International Centre for Business and Technology (ICBT) in Sunbury-on-Thames. From time to time you may also be required to travel to our central London offices.