Excited about working in a business, but not sure where to start? On our Business and Administration Apprenticeship you’ll discover how businesses operate, whilst gaining real-world work experience and exploring where your career might take you.
About the programme
As a Business and Administration Apprentice, you’ll be part of our Business Support community, playing a critical role in ensuring that the day-to-day operations of our business are efficient and effective.
This 2-year apprenticeship programme will enable you to develop a range of highly transferable business administration skills like time management, scheduling, meeting/report preparation, event coordination and document control.
During your apprenticeship you will rotate between departments, with each placement lasting 3 months. Your placements could be in any department within our Business Support function. Common placements include Operations, Human Resources, Finance, Supply Chain, Communications and Project Management.
Throughout your apprenticeship with Babcock, you could be involved in a number of key tasks and projects, including:
- Business-wide continuous improvement projects
- Organising internal communications events
- Collaborating with colleagues on project reporting for our lines of business
Having completed your apprenticeship, you’ll have a range of potential career options including Team/Project Assistant, Administrator, Document Controller, HR Administrator, Bid Coordinator, Finance Assistant, and many more.
As part of your apprenticeship, you will study for the Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard in Business Administration through a local college.
You’ll study a variety of modules, including:
- Record and document production
- Decision making
- Planning and organisation
- Project management
You will complete your academic submission via distance learning but will be continually supported within your role. Alongside this, you will be assigned a tutor from the college who will visit you at work regularly and agree targets with you to enable you to complete your college work.
What you’ll need
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade C/4+ (or equivalent) including Maths and English. A GCSE ICT at Grade C/4+ would also be desirable.
- You will also need to demonstrate a passion for business administration, be able to communicate with others well, and hold good organisational skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
● Fully funded qualification
● Personal development training and opportunities
● Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
● Competitive pension scheme
● Employee share scheme
● Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.