Job Title: Electrical Apprentice
Location: Steelpark, Wednesfield
Length of Apprenticeship: 4 years
Tata Steel is one of the world’s most geographically diversified steel producers, with operations in 26 countries and commercial offices in over 35 countries.
In Europe we are one of the largest steel producers. But it’s not just our size that sets us apart. What makes us different is our approach to business. We believe our strength is how we build collaborative relationships that create new success for our customers.
Tata Steel Distribution UK & Ireland (TSDUK&I) are part of Tata Steel Europe and based at the Steelpark in Wednesfield, it is the largest steel processing facility in the UK. TSDUK&I also have facilities in Llanwern, South Wales and Lisburn in Northern Ireland. Across the business we process all forms of strip steel products and manufacture components such as safety barriers.
The role of the Steelpark Electrical Maintenance Engineers is to effectively maintain all process and auxiliary equipment within the three business units with an aim to improve the time these machines are working while reducing costs.
The Electrical Apprentices will develop the required skills and knowledge to support the operations team to perform repairs to breakdowns and taking part in preventative maintenance. They will learn how to engineer solutions to enable process improvement to contribute to the enhancement of productivity within the business.
Candidates who have, or are expected to achieve, 5 GCSE or equivalent (including English, Maths and Science) at at Grades A* - C or level 4-9, can apply.
A level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations (PEO) is desirable but not essential.
We also look for people who:
- Have strong communication and listening skills
- Are keen to learn
- Are enthusiastic
- Are reliable – with good timekeeping skills
- Have practical hobbies
- Are able to get on with others
- Are able to work in a team
- Can demonstrate leadership abilities
- Are interested in the engineering/manufacturing industry
- Can demonstrate Numerical and literacy skills to KS2 level
Electrical Apprenticeship Overview:
During the apprenticeship these roles will spend a significant amount of time learning about the business. They will develop key skills and knowledge of Health, Safety and Environmental practices, our products, our customers and the local IT systems.
In addition to this they will learn about the Electrical Engineering and Process Improvements- specifically the fundamentals of the discipline, Engineering materials, machine tools and Cranes and Lifting tackle. They will also become familiar with the importance of planned inspections and maintenance and process control.
The duties the apprentices undertake will be geared around them learning the required skills and knowledge to become a competent Electrical craftsperson at the end of their apprenticeship. Once qualified, the role of an electrical craftsperson typically involves:
- Maintaining and repairing processing machinery and ancillary equipment in a safe and productive manner in order to maximise availability at optimum cost.
- Adhering to the preventative maintenance programmes to ensure that unplanned downtime is avoided.
- Through utilisation of the SHIRE system ensuring engineering spares and inventory on site are managed within budget constraints and equipment downtime is minimised.
- Delivering training to operators in order they are able to understand and implement basic maintenance activities facilitating optimum productivity.
- Procuring and managing contract resource to ensure prompt and cost effective recovery from breakdown
- Facilitating optimal performance by working flexibly within the team and the context of the site, undertaking maintenance at short notice.
- Ensuring that their own and team operations, including those undertaken on the Company's behalf by third party service providers, are conducted in manner which fully complies with Tata UK & Ireland Health & Safety, quality, environmental and corporate policies.
- Understanding, deploy and seek to recommend improvements to production control procedures to support team performance objectives.
Electrical apprentices will study for the following qualifications during their 4 year apprenticeship:
- Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Competence)
- Level 2 Award for Foundation Phase Gateway Assessment
- Level 3 Diploma or Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Knowledge)
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering (Development Competence
Package and benefits
As well as a salary of £12,600 Tata Steel offers a very competitive package - that recognises your contribution to our business and supports you in your professional development. This includes:
- nationally recognised qualifications
- employment opportunities and progression
- ongoing Tata Steel training, which has built a reputation as one of the best within the industry.
- One of the UK’s leading defined contribution pension schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted shopping with various local and national retailers and services including Vodafone, Nandos, Virgin Holidays, Jaguar Land Rover, asos.