Do you want to be part of something extraordinary? Something that not only gives you the opportunity to develop and grow your career, but offers excitement, challenge and intrigue at the same time making a difference to keeping our country, and everyone in it, safe?
That’s what the proud people of AWE have been doing for more than 70 years.
Our role in nuclear defence and what we do to support the UK’s nuclear deterrent, is vital in defending our country from the most extreme threats and to keeping the peace. From developing the warheads for the nuclear deterrent, to providing counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions, the work we do is of global importance.
Working together with a team of remarkable people who achieve extraordinary things everyday, you too could be a part of something that makes a difference. How? The answer is AWE.
There are numerous mechanical maintenance roles on site such as working on the steam powered heating systems, servicing, checking and hanging filters within vacuum pumps, bearing checks and heat and vibration level checks on motors.
As a mechanical maintenance apprentice you will learn the basics of hand tools then move onto learning the operations of various machines such as milling machines, pillar drill and lathes. You will pick up a variety of skills including setting up rigs, maintenance and set up of basic pipe fittings, and making crank sets and frost coils. Other tasks will include disassembling and reassembling equipment such as vacuum pumps, Ogden pumps and calorifiers. Further experience gained during your apprenticeship will include using hydraulic lifting equipment, cranes, compressed air, heater batteries and air ventilation systems.
Mechanical Maintenance may appeal to you if you enjoy:
- Understanding how mechanical assemblies work
- Understanding how heating, ventilation and cooling systems work
- Understanding the operation and maintenance of rotating plant and equipment
- Problem solving activities
- Being hands on
- Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
Location: You will be based in Aldermaston, near Reading
You'll need to demonstrate:
- A practical aptitude for engineering or technology
- Computer literacy (PC)
- Excellent team working skills
- Good communication skills
- Awareness of health and safety
- The ability to follow instructions
- The ability to concentrate for long periods
- A real passion for this type of work (see comparable skills/interests)
- Preferably GCSE in Math and English at Grade 4 or above (or equivalent)
Duration of training: 3 - 4 Years (varies depending on personal performance)
What we offer:
- We offer our apprentices a starting salary of £11,000
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
You must be able to Join AWE in September 2022. We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, we close our applications. We look forward to hearing from you.