As a manufacturing science apprentice, you will develop skills and knowledge in GSK pharmaceutical &/or consumer healthcare processes and products. You will learn how our products are made to be able to confidently support routine production, new product introduction (NPI) & validation as well as process improvement work. Depending on your preferences, strengths and ambition, this holistic apprenticeship could lead in many career directions including manufacturing or NPI technologist, operations management and operational quality.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards a nationally recognised qualification – a foundation degree (FdSc) in Chemical Science - while gaining valuable, paid work experience. There is the potential for the 3 year apprenticeship to be extended to 5 years to incorporate a full Bachelor’s degree.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
- You will work across the site (including Pilot Plant in Ware) combining on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development. Your role will involve:
- supporting the design, introduction, validation and commissioning of new process equipment and products
- working as part of a team of technical scientists and manufacturing technicians
- supporting complex manufacturing processes - ensuring quality, safety and accuracy
- Analysing process data
- Owning and delivering improvement and optimisation projects
You’ll be excited by the thought of working collaboratively with colleagues from technical, laboratory, validation, engineering, logistics and planning.
What qualifications do I need? To be eligible for our Manufacturing Scientist apprenticeship you will need…
- To have/be predicted to achieve a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent, four of which should be at grade 5 (A*-C) or higher and including Maths and Science and grade 4 (C) or higher for English Language (not literature).
- To have/be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from top 3 A Levels including Chemistry or Applied Science at C or above.
N.B. BTEC in Applied Science is acceptable as long as it meets the UCAS requirement.
Where will I be based?
At our Maidenhead, Barnard Castle and Ware manufacturing sites
What our apprentices say about the Manufacturing Science apprenticeship...
“It’s a great feeling knowing that the work you’re doing is being used to improve GSK technologies and supporting clinical trials. In my second year, I am already working with other teams in developing our processes to be even better than last year.”
When does the Apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in September 2019.
• A competitive base salary
• An annual bonus
• Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
• A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
• A performance and development programme
• Training and Development (including opportunities to attend events such as the Outward
• A nationally recognised qualification
When you apply, you’ll be asked for your personal information and why you want to work for us. We recommend you apply as soon as possible, because we accept ongoing applications and offer positions on a first come, first served basis.
Watch a video to get to grips with our recruitment process
Want to understand our whole recruitment process? Watch our video here
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also, because it’s the right thing to do.
Next steps in our application process:
If you seem like a good fit based on your application form, we’ll invite you to complete our World of GSK online assessment. This will give us a better idea of your strengths and suitability for our apprentice programme. Please check your email daily to see if you’ve been chosen – and complete the World of GSK by the deadline given.
If you succeed in the World of GSK, you’ll progress to the GSK Life job simulation. Following this, we will be looking back over the whole of your application so far to decide whether you meet the specific requirements of the programme in the country you have applied to.
The final round is our Assessment Centre. We anticipate this will be in Feb-April