Kickstart your driving career with our HGV Driver Apprenticeship based at Gibraltar Barracks, the home of Combat Engineer Training for the Royal Engineers.
About the programme
This is no ordinary HGV Driver Apprenticeship. You'll play a key role in supporting the Royal Engineers (RE), the engineering arm of the British Army.
No two days are the same as you provide vital services that assist critical military exercises and training. It's a chance to launch a career that makes a real difference to national security.
During your training, you'll gain your HGV and Passenger Transport driving licences. You'll also learn to operate specialist vehicles like cranes, plant machinery, bridging equipment, Lorry Mounted Loaders and other specialist vehicle types. Combining hands-on experience with theory, you'll develop the skills to excel in military driving roles.
Some of the skills you'll develop include:
● HGV and passenger transport driving
● Operating specialist vehicles and equipment
● Supporting 24-hour military exercises
● Working on army bases and specialist terrains.
After qualifying, you'll be ready to take on an exciting driver role supporting live training activities. With your skills, experience and can-do attitude, you'll play a key role in military training operations.
Your apprenticeship will include initial HGV training and licensing, followed by further training for Passenger Transport and specialist vehicle licences.
You will gain a variety of National qualifications including:
o HGV Licence Cat C+E (Old HGV1 articulated trucks)
o Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence)
o ADR Licence for carriage of Dangerous Goods
o Pledge for Passenger Transport Services Vehicle (PSV) Training and licence (Cat D Licence)
o Opportunity for extra professional driving/operating licences such as crane, plant vehicles and more.
During your training, you will also complete at least one mandatory one-week deployment in support of military training activities in Army Training Areas, under tactical scenarios. This will include living out of Army Training Area accommodation, working shifts, supporting 24-hour military training activities and includes very attractive overtime rates of pay.
What you’ll need
● A full UK driving licence with no more than 3 penalty points.
● Ability to meet medical and eyesight standards for professional drivers.
● Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
● Fully funded qualification
● Personal development training and opportunities
● Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
● Competitive pension scheme
● Employee share scheme
● Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.
Please be aware that if there is a high level of interest in this programme, applications may close earlier than advertised. To give yourself the best chance of being considered for a place on this programme, please submit your application as early as possible.