- Managing data/records
- Reviewing documents
- Drafting and producing legal documents and standard forms
- Assisting with the inception, progress and completion of client files
- Carrying out research
- Handling confidential and sensitive information
- Understand and utilise basic financial information
- Communicating (written and oral) with internal and external clients
Ethics, professionalism and judgement
- Have an understanding of legal and regulatory requirements relevant to the role.
- Maintain sufficient competence and legal knowledge to work effectively - relevant law, research.
- Avoid working outside their area of knowledge and competence, seek guidance and support where needed.
- Use understanding and analysis to solve problems.
Technical Legal Practice
- Undertake legal and factual research and present the findings accurately and clearly.
- Use precedents and draft documents, using plain and succinct language.
- Assist with legal matters and transactions.
Managing themselves and their own work
- Manage work activities to ensure that they are completed on time and to an appropriate standard, including:
- Keep others informed of progress.
- Ability to work under pressure and willingness to accept changing priorities when new jobs need to be done.
- Paying appropriate attention to detail.
- Practice good file management - prepare and collate bundles, take and file accurate notes, close and review files, maintain databases, version control.
- Work in accordance with good business practice - maintain an understanding of the basic financial drivers, time recording and billing processes relevant to the role and firm.
Working with other people.
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective and professional relations with others, including an ability to work with people at all levels towards achieving internal and external clients' and team objectives.
Individual employers will identify any relevant entry requirements in terms of previous qualifications or other criteria. The recommendation of entry requirements is below:
GCSE Maths & English - grade C or above (or equivalent)
2 x A Level (or equivalent) - minimum grade C
Professional Qualifications / Recognition
This is a Level 3 Apprenticeship.
The following qualifications meet the requirements for the Trailblazer Apprenticeship for Paralegals. They do not represent an exhaustive list.
CILEx Level 3 Diploma in Providing Legal Services
Completing this standard should also provide exemptions for the Solicitor Apprentice standard and the Legal Executive standard.
Originally published on Gov.uk, this information has been re-used under the terms of the Open Government Licence.";