A Composites Technician will develop skills in the disciplines of design, mould tool making and preparation, part lay-up, curing, testing, inspection, repair and material science. They will be able to:
- Select appropriate techniques, procedures and methods to undertake part manufacture.
- Identify and select materials (resins, matrix and core),
- Design and prepare mould tools.
- Design and manufacture components
- Select appropriate consumables required to ensure satisfactory progress and completion of projects and/or manufacturing programmes, in conjunction with any relevant Health and Safety legislation.
- Read and understand technical drawings for part manufacture
- Laminate geometrically complex parts
- Operate machinery associated with laminating and automated manufacture
- Carry out maintenance to machines or equipment to comply with preventative maintenance plans
- Assist and advise in the planning and preparation of manufacturing programmes and research projects to ensure they meet customer requirements and schedules
- Understand and follow work instructions
- Use metrology equipment applicable to the workplace
A Composites Technician will require a thorough understanding of the industry in which they are employed. They will be able to understand and apply the following areas:
- Working safely, appropriately and collaboratively
- Equality & diversity.
- Maths, science and engineering disciplines.
- The characteristics of Composites and their various applications.
- Composite materials and consumables
- Types of Resins. e.g. Polyester, Epoxy, Bio-resins.
- The manufacture of materials. e.g. Semi-finished, woven reinforcements, preforms.
- Material Science, Design, Tooling, Moulding, Laminating, Curing, Testing, Inspection & Repair.
- Hand Lay-up. e.g. Open moulding, Spray Lay-up.
- Automated Lay-up. e.g. Automated Fibre Placement, Automated Tape Layup.
- The manufacture of complex parts eg. Airplane Wings, Body Armour, Turbine Blades.
- Quality, Cost and Delivery (QCD) standards and their importance in the workplace
- Manufacturing costs and the need for preventative maintenance.
- Business Improvement Techniques and waste reduction.
- Application of IT systems to support manufacture (including CAD/CAM/CMM)
- Automation techniques including programming and operating robots.
- Supporting R & D projects
- New Product Development.
The behaviour of Technicians in the Composites industry is one of the most important aspects of the standard. Composites Technicians will be expected to:
- Manage and apply safe systems of work, ethically and responsibly
- Show respect for colleagues and the work environment
- Be focused on customer satisfaction, ensuring that work is undertaken following Quality, Cost and Delivery principles to meet or exceed customers expectations
- Have a “right first time” approach
- Understand and implement continuous improvements in the workplace
- Solve problems, eliminate waste and risks
- Undertake engineering activities which contribute to sustainable development
- Be able to work in a team with effective interpersonal skills
- Be able to communicate clearly
- Commit to & apply a professional code of conduct
- Carry out CPD activities and have a desire to develop a career in composites engineering
Each employer will stipulate their own entry requirements but it is likely that many will seek a Grade A* to C in Maths, English and a Science or Technology based subject.
The typical duration of this apprenticeship will be 3 years
Professional Qualifications / Recognition
As part of the apprenticeship, apprentices will be required to achieve a recognised L3 Engineering qualification, as approved by the relevant professional institution, to be deemed eligible to apply for Engineering Technician (Eng.Tech.) status with The Institute of Materials( IOM3) and/or the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
This standard will meet the professional standards required for Eng.Tech. registration.
Originally published on Gov.uk, this information has been re-used under the terms of the Open Government Licence.";