BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION APPRENTICESHIP – LAND SERVICES - BELFAST, GLASGOW, BIRMINGHAM, GUILDFORD, MANCHESTER
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
We can offer you the opportunity to work alongside some of the world’s most exciting engineering and design projects. We invest in your learning and development and we value the ideas and innovation you could bring to our work. So, if you’re ready, we can’t wait to get you involved.
First though, we thought you’d like to know how our apprenticeship programme works. An apprenticeship enables you to earn a salary whilst you are studying for nationally recognised qualifications. You’ll get to work alongside and learn from our experts who have a wide range of knowledge, capability and experiences to share with you with a programme designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to be a competent member of our team.
All in a Day’s work
There’s no such thing as a typical day at WSP. Your role will be varied and your learning will be fast paced. One day can be completely different to the next.
In this varied role as a Business Administration Apprentice in the Land Services team, your role will be to provide administrative support to a dynamic and professional team of Land Consultants with the delivery of detailed, high quality land ownership information to our clients for a broad range of high profile infrastructure projects, whilst also studying towards Level 3 in Business Administration.
The main responsibilities of the role are to:-
- Coordinate team health and safety responsibilities
- Provide database support to referencing and survey projects
- Look after document control, issuing of documents and versioning
- Carry out day to day office administrative functions to ensure all records and files are maintained and held securely and that confidentiality of information is upheld
- Under supervision, assist in the preparation of documentation for landowner meetings
- Assist project managers with project administration duties such as recording of time approvals and invoicing
- Manage incoming communication and associated data input, ensuring that they are dealt with in a timely, professional and courteous manner
- Create and maintain effective working relationships with other members of staff and customers
- Undertake word processing and other clerical duties including the taking of notes at meetings when required
- Follow company policies and procedures, in particular observing the importance of confidentiality
- Prepare documentation in various formats as and when required
- Deal with the booking of meeting rooms and Company Pool vehicles
- Deal with the booking of Hotel rooms and railway tickets in line with Company procedures
- Enter data using various IT systems
- Study towards a Level 3 in Business Administration.
- Be an active and collaborative team member, work closely with colleagues and fit seamlessly into a delivery team
What you’ll need
- You will have completed your GCSEs with a minimum of five GCSEs grade C / Level 5 or above which must include English, Maths and Science with at least a grade B / Level 6 in Maths .
- You’ll be enthusiastic with the curiosity and creativity to think outside of the box
- You’ll want to stretch and inspire us, speaking up about any new ideas you have
- You’ll know it is important to keep everyone in the loop and will demonstrate this through excellent communication skills
- You’ll enjoy working in a team environment, sharing ideas and collaborating with colleagues
What you’ll get from us
We understand that all apprentices are different. Therefore, we tailor your training and development to help you to achieve your own personal goals. You’ll undertake a supervised programme of in-company training and college teaching.
You will study towards a BTEC Level 3 (the equivalent of A-Levels) in business administration over a one to two year period with a mixture of workplace assessed learning and classroom sessions.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We are dedicated to our local communities and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. We design lasting solutions in the Property & Buildings, Transportation & Infrastructure, Environment, Industry, Resources (including Mining and Oil & Gas) and Power & Energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services.
With over 8,000 talented people in the UK and 43,000 globally, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come. We’ve been involved in many high profile UK projects including The Shard, Crossrail, Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Manchester Metrolink, M1 Smart Motorway, the re-development of London Bridge Station and the London Olympic & Paralympic Route Network.
Across our offices in the UK, we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture. One of the key ways that we celebrate this is through our social committees and the events they organise. Some of these events have included office Olympics; go karting outings, BBQs and opera trips.
You could also become part of our Professional Growth Network (PGN). The PGN is a networking group run by early career professionals for early career professionals. It helps to grow your network of contacts across the UK business as well as providing you with opportunities for extra experience to support you in achieving chartered status or other professional accreditations. PGN activities include lunchtime talks, site visits, inter-office quizzes and sporting events.
We also offer a comprehensive wider benefits package which includes:
- Reduced rates on gadget insurance
- Cheaper gym memberships and Tastecards
- A standard 25 day annual leave allowance plus Bank Holidays and the flexibility to buy and sell annual leave
- The Cycle to Work Scheme (which entitles you to a tax free bike)
- 2 paid days a year to be used for volunteering activities
- The option to purchase additional benefits such as dental care, personal accident cover, and holiday or life insurance at reduced rates
- Employee Assistance Programme – EAP is a confidential life management and personal support service which offers you free access to specialist advice in areas such as legal, financial, personal and family matters including bereavement and counselling services.