Jacobs is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of full-spectrum technical, professional and consultancy services for industrial, commercial and government organisations globally.
With more than 77,000 people globally, our teams collaborate, innovate and create. Our people are proud to have been behind some of the greatest consultancy and engineering feats over the past 70 years.
We foster a collaborative and inclusive environment for our people, and our partners, and we want you to be a part of our growing business.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts.
We currently have an opportunity for a Mechanical Engineering Apprentice within our Rail team based in Exeter. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Our OLE (Overhead Line Electrification) department work on overhead line design including allocation layout design, bonding design and cross sections of OLE structures on worldwide projects for Australia (Melbourne Metro), New Zealand (KiwiRail) and UK for Network Rail.
We need someone who is excited by working on complex design projects and standing out in multi-disciplinary design teams.
The successful individual will be working towards a (Level 3 – Mechanical Engineering qualification). This will be taught as a 1-day release with Exeter College for a duration of 2 years.
The successful candidate will be mentored by our highly experienced Designers and Engineers and will be expected to rapidly become a productive team member, working on our diverse range of projects and gaining experience alongside experienced Designers, producing and modifying design drawings and schedules.
Key responsibilities will involve supporting the team with the following:
- Use MicroStation CAD software to produce detailed drawings of cross sections and layout plans for OLE equipment.
- Preparation of feasibility studies, outline and detailed design technical reports and other written documents.
- Design of detail allocation and construction design.
- Production of design concepts, drawings, specifications and other technical documents.
- Delivery of work to programme, budget and specification.
- Planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances.
- Establishment of internal design standards and/or processes to achieve a continuous improvement in quality and efficiency.
- Contributing to long term technical development of the office by application of new techniques, procedures and practices.
This apprenticeship is suitable for someone looking for a career in: Mechanical Engineering. There is the opportunity to go onto further study to enable you to be qualified to progress onto Level 6 Mechanical Engineering Degree course.
- You should have a minimum of five GCSE’s Grades A*-C, including English language, Maths and Science.
- A'Level Engineering, Product Design or Physics qualifications would be advantageous but not essential.
- Strong computer software skills - Experience of using MS office packages; particularly Microsoft Excel
- Some exposure to technical drawing software such as AutoCAD
- Demonstrate excellent mathematical skills
- Good attention to detail
- Good timekeeping skills
- Good team player with a desire to succeed
- Willingness to learn
Closing date: 6th April 2019
Expected Start date: August 2019
Course Enrolment: September 2019
Number of roles: 1
Working week: Between 9:00am – 6:00pm / 40 hours per week including 1 day in college
Office address: Aperture @, Pynes Hill Court, Pynes Hill, Exeter EX2 5SP
Training provider address: Exeter College
Please ensure you can commute to/from at these locations (both the office and training provider location) during office hours before applying for this opportunity.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing for all.
Primary Location: United Kingdom-United Kingdom Countrywide-Exeter
Job Posting: Mar 12, 2019, 11:05:56 AM
Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world.
With $15.0 billion in combined revenue and a talent force more than 77,000 strong, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional, construction- and program-management for business, industrial, commercial, government and infrastructure sectors.
For more information, visit www.jacobs.com