Exciting minds with our Apprenticeship programme – Health and Safety
If you have an interest in environmental protection, occupational health and safety at work, consider our Health and Safety apprenticeship programme.
Our Environment Health, Safety (EHS) business turns our mission inward to help employees ‘do more, feel better, live longer’. We work hard to build a healthy, resilient, high-performing workforce and this includes ensuring our workplace is the best and safest it can be for our employees and the environment.
As a Health and Safety apprentice you will have the chance to be part of this mission through a series of projects and job rotations.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards a nationally recognised qualification – an NVQ Level 4 qualification in Health and Safety and GSK will sponsor you to complete a NEBOSH National Diploma in O Occupational Health and Safety, the first UK vocational qualification to be developed specifically for health and safety professionals.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
The Health and Safety apprenticeship will combine on-the-job learning with a programme of training and development. Your role might involve:
• Workplace assessments and advice to minimise risk.
• Planning and conducting audits/inspections and tracking actions to completion.
• Involvement in the investigation of incidents and supporting development of controls to
• Documentation of the EHS management system.
• Checking new legislation for relevance to EHS
• Reviewing metrics used to monitor the EHS management system.
• Preparing, planning and delivering EHS awareness and promotional events.
What qualifications do I need? To be eligible for our health and safety apprenticeship you will need…
- To have or be predicted to achieve a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grade 5 (A*-C) and above, including maths and science. Grade 4 or higher is acceptable for English Language (not literature).
- A minimum of 96 UCAS points from top 3 A Levels including Maths
Where will I be based?
Offered at our Barnard Castle site
What our apprentices say about the Health and safety apprenticeship...
“I’ve found GSK a great place to learn and work. It’s a really positive culture to make your first steps within the business.
“There are many people to look up to within the organisation that have been through a similar learning curve, and everyone is happy to support you and help you to get the most out of your time as a GSK apprentice. “
When does the Apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in September 2019.
• A competitive base salary
• An annual bonus
• Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
• A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
• A performance and development programme
• Training and Development (including opportunities to attend events such as the Outward
• A nationally recognised qualification
When you apply, you’ll be asked for your personal information and why you want to work for us. We recommend you apply as soon as possible, because we accept ongoing applications and offer positions on a first come, first served basis.
Watch a video to get to grips with our recruitment process
Want to understand our whole recruitment process? Watch our video here
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also because it’s the right thing to do.
Next steps in our application process:
If you seem like a good fit based on your application form, we’ll invite you to complete our World of GSK online assessment. This will give us a better idea of your strengths and suitability for our apprentice programme. Please check your email daily to see if you’ve been chosen – and complete the World of GSK by the deadline given.
If you succeed in the World of GSK, you’ll progress to the GSK Life job simulation. Following this, we will be looking back over the whole of your application so far to decide whether you meet the specific requirements of the programme in the country you have applied to.
The final round is our Assessment Centre. We anticipate this will be in Feb-April.
Need help with your application?
Please contact us at:
01635 279808 (+44 1635 279808 outside of UK)