Tata Steel is one of the world’s most geographically diversified steel producers, with operations in 26 countries and commercial offices in over 35 countries.
In Europe we are one of the largest steel producers. But it’s not just our size that sets us apart. What makes us different is our approach to business. We believe our strength is how we build collaborative relationships that create new success for our customers.
A Manufacturing Higher Apprenticeship within Tata Steel offers an exciting training programme in varied environments and locations.
The Manufacturing function plays a vital role in keeping our sites running smoothly. You will work closely with colleagues in and beyond Manufacturing, ensuring that plant performance is optimised and that production targets are achieved. It involves operating at pace, with precision and to accurate technical guidelines. Skill, expertise and dedication are critical.
Your motivation will always be to ensure our customers’ requirements are achieved on time, every time. You will be involved with all elements associated with Manufacturing, including health & safety, quality, customer focus and production efficiency. To help you realise your potential and reach career milestones, our programme ensures that you are fully trained, focused and aware of current business issues, as well as honing the skills you need to effectively communicate with people across the business.
Whether your training as part of our Iron & Steel making process teams in the Blast Furnaces and Basic Oxygen Steelmaking Plants, or Rolling steel in our Hot and Cold Mills, you will be part of a team that continually ensures our products and processes are world class.
To be considered for our Manufacturing Higher Apprenticeship Programme you will need 5 GCSEs or equivalent (including English, Maths and Science) at Grades A* - C or level 4 - 9
You will also need to have two A Levels or equivalent, one of which must be Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths or Business at Grades A* – C.
Manufacturing Higher Apprenticeship Programme Summary:
As a manufacturing higher apprentice you will:
- You will gain an understanding of the manufacturing processes in your allocated area
- You will develop your knowledge & understanding of Health and Safety systems
- You will work with and develop various plant & office based computer systems
- Carry out sampling & audits to ensure that specifications meet our customer requirements
- You will be influencing change to improve plant and product
- You will gain understanding and work to our Quality Assurance systems parameters
- Communicate and work with other internal departments
- Liaise with internal & external customers
- Involvement with Project work when required
- Seek out continuous improvement opportunities
Initially working 40 hours per week Monday to Friday, although candidates may be required to work out of hours and spend a period on shifts as and when required.
As a Paid Tata Higher Apprentice you will:
- Study a Higher Education Qualification, Level 4 HNC Diploma in Manufacturing
- Start a Level 4 NVQ Diploma in Engineering Manufacturing
- Complete Core Tata Competencies
- Undertake Department & Role Specific Training
In your second year you will:
- Complete the Level 4 HNC Diploma in Manufacturing
- Complete your Level 4 NVQ in Engineering Manufacturing
- Undertake further on job and off job training to be competent in your specific role
Package and benefits
As well as a salary of £15,750, Tata Steel offers a very competitive package - that recognises your contribution to our business and supports you in your professional development. This includes:
- nationally recognised qualifications
- employment opportunities and progression
- ongoing Tata Steel training, which has built a reputation as one of the best within the industry.
- One of the UK’s leading defined contribution pension schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted shopping with various local and national retailers and services including Vodafone, Nandos, Virgin Holidays, Jaguar Land Rover, asos.
For further information please visit our website www.tatasteeleurope.com/en/careers/uk/apprentices