About the role
Joining the Capital Delivery Commercial team, you’ll have the opportunity to be involved in the development and implementation of contract strategies pre-award and gain experience of the management of contracts post-award.
You’ll ensure we receive value for money and outperform the standards set by our current regulatory framework, RIIO (Revenue = Incentives + Innovation + Outputs). As part of this apprenticeship you’ll work closely with a number of key stakeholders and interfaces including the Construction delivery teams, Global Procurement and our Development function; providing our ‘pipeline’ of future works.
You will ensure that National Grid values are embedded in every aspect of successful contract preparation, from Financial outcomes to Health & Safety. As part of this team you will ensure that value is created in awarding effective and efficient contracts to the supply chain for our significant investment programme.
Key Tasks and Areas of Work
As a Higher Apprentice in our Commercial & Contracts team you will have the opportunity to be involved in the following:
- The development and implementation of commercial strategies which create value through the award and delivery of the contracts.
- Working with Global Procurement and our Commercial Officers to develop and implement future contracting and ‘NG Buys’ strategies, including overseeing and co-coordinating tender events where required.
- Commercial evaluation, negotiation and the formation of contractual terms, including Legal interfacing.
- Strategic sourcing, supply chain management and supplier development.
- The management of our commercial/contractual relationships with our strategic suppliers
- Monitoring contract performance and identify areas for improvement
- The development and application of commercial and /contract management processes, looking at everything from tender management and contract compliance to contract administration, to make sure we get value for money.
By the end of your apprenticeship you will have gained an understanding of the context of procurement and supply, understand pre-procurement and early market engagement, understand sourcing and contract agreements, supplier management and category management along with how pre-contract and post contract award is managed in National Grid.
In Capital Delivery, we are committed to the personal development of our staff. Joining us, you’ll be supported as you develop a wide range of leadership, business and technical skills through structured training and on the-job experience. And you’ll work closely with your line manager to establish and navigate through a Personal Development Plan that is tailored to your needs.
If you’re keen to earn while you learn, our Commercial Management Higher Apprenticeship Programme is a great opportunity to gain a level 4 Diploma in Procurement & Supply with the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS).
Or, if you already have a degree, it’s an ideal way to specialise in a vital, demanding and growing area.
Thanks to the mix of formal study at college and practical experience at our offices in Castle Donnington/Warwick, you’ll develop well-rounded skills. Upon successful completion of the programme, you can look forward to a permanent job within the Commercial team.