Do you want to be part of something extraordinary? Something that not only gives you the opportunity to develop and grow your career, but offers excitement, challenge and intrigue at the same time making a difference to keeping our country, and everyone in it, safe?
That’s what the proud people of AWE have been doing for more than 70 years.
Our role in nuclear defence and what we do to support the UK’s nuclear deterrent, is vital in defending our country from the most extreme threats and to keeping the peace. From developing the warheads for the nuclear deterrent, to providing counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions, the work we do is of global importance.
Working together with a team of remarkable people who achieve extraordinary things everyday, you too could be a part of something that makes a difference. How? The answer is AWE.
As a Mechatronic maintenance technician at AWE, your role will include servicing, repairing and installing various Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic, Hydraulic and Programmable logic control (PLC) systems,
all of which are commonly used onsite to support the Machine Tools department and Trials & Test Technology Centre. As a Mechatronics Maintenance Technician within either of these groups, you will be responsible for maintaining equipment within all of our production related facilities, with the goal of maintaining production and ensuring minimal downtime. These tasks may include scheduled and breakdown maintenance on all aspects of engineering within your chosen team, including condition-based monitoring and calibration of the equipment.
As an apprentice you will initially be based within the onsite training facility, where you will develop your basic knowledge and core skills, before progressing on to the onsite aspect of your training. At this point you will now start to apply and further develop these core skills in a live working environment. In addition to the vocational aspects of your training, you will further your knowledge of mechatronics engineering through academic studies as your work towards the completion of your level 3 technical certificate.
Mechatronics maintenance Technician may appeal to you if you enjoy:
- Understanding how mechanical, Electronic, PLC and hydraulic systems work
- Problem solving activities
- Being hands on
- Applying engineering principles into real life scenarios
Location: You will be based in Aldermaston, near Reading
- Preferable GCSE in Maths and English at Grade 4 or above (or equivalent)
- A practical aptitude for engineering or technology
- Computer literacy (PC)
- Excellent team working skills
- Good communication skills
- Awareness of health and safety
- The ability to follow instructions
- The ability to concentrate for long periods
- A real passion for this type of work (see comparable skills/interests)
Duration of training: 3 - 4 Years (varies depending on personal performance)
What we offer:
- We offer our apprentices a starting salary of £11,000
- A market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement and excellent work/life balance including a 9-day working fortnight. This means that every other Friday you won’t be required to work
Alongside these benefits you will get the opportunity to learn from some of the top leaders in their field whilst helping us to continue to deliver national nuclear security, threat reduction and counter-terrorism solutions.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
You must be able to Join AWE in September 2022. We recruit on a rolling basis which means as soon as our positions have been filled, we close our applications. We look forward to hearing from you.